8.27.2007

Datura inoxia

Known as Toloache by the Aztecs (and probably used by most Mesoamerican cultures before them), this beautiful representative of the Datura genus just recently began opening its flowers in my garden. It blooms in the evening, pollinated by night-flying moths, with huge (8"+) flowers and a sweet aroma that sets it apart from its cousin, the Jimson weed (D. stramonium).
Many members of the Solanaceae (Nightshade family, perhaps my favorite plant family though the Araliae are right up there) possess alkaloids like scopolamine and hyoscyamine which have the ability to limit the action of the parasympathetic nervous system (they are so-called parasympatholytics). This yin-like side of our nerve networks promotes rest, digestion, and reproduction, and actively counterbalances the more yang-like sympathetics continuously.
By taking a plant like Datura, you can effectively inhibit yin function for a time, starting first at the physiological level and eventually at the level of the mental and energetic bodies. Small doses relax muscles, open airways, and provide a gentle warmth. As the dose is raised, heart rate increases; there is a loss of motor function; and convulsions, delirium, hallucinations, and finally death ensue. Internal use is generally not a good idea - the yang demons that are called into the human are generally unpleasant, and can be downright dangerous. Topical use, however, is a different story.
Of the parts of this plant, the seed is certainly the strongest. Leaves are next, and the root is milder. So to make a salve from D. stramonium, we recently took the black seeds from three of the thorny, opened pods and crushed them in a mortar and pestle. Keep in mind, there were enough seeds to kill all seven of us, had we taken them orally.

Datura salve:
Crushed ripe seeds from 3 seedpods (about 2 TBS)
Seven fluid ounces of oil: olive, almond, or grapeseed
soak the seeds in the oil, while heating in a double boiler
after an hour (or more), strain and return to the double boiler
add:
8/10ths of an ounce, by weight, of beeswax (about 23 grams)
when the beeswax is melted, add:
1 fluid ounce of the infused oil of Arnica [optional]
1/4 tsp. of Rosemary essential oil [optional]
stir quickly and pour into jars

The last two ingredients enhance the pain-relieving power of this salve, by reducing swelling and stimulating circulation. Datura was always traditionally used as a topical pain reliever for rheumatism, "bone aches", sprains, and wounds. This version is quite effective - but use only a little bit, and some sensitive individuals may feel a disturbance in their personal fields by even a small brush with this powerful plant. More flowers are set to bloom - I look forward to admiring this moonflower under the Full Moon!



Maude Grieve
Erowid

17 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great post, Guido! Would you like me to include it in the Preserving the Harvest blog party?

Guido Mase' said...

Rebecca, I have another preparation in mind - for the piles of comfrey leaves everywhere.

Anonymous said...

3 pods would not be enough to kill a mouse. whould have made it with the methanole

Guido Mase' said...

Hey Transcended, I'm not so sure about that. The seeds are quite toxic - and potent, based on my experiences. And one pod has TONS of seeds! What have your datura-consuming experiences revealed?
I generally don't use methanol for extraction as it is highly toxic, especially to tissues such as the optic nerve. Too many stories of old timers drinking the wood-alcohol-rich apple jack...

Unknown said...

this recipe is for one person? and its highness reach to dmt?

Guido Mase' said...

The recipe is for external use only, and not for intoxication (though under supervision, and in the right mucous membranes, it might do the job). Its highness is very different from that of dmt. Would not consider it a substitute. Much more scary.

Guido Mase' said...

The recipe is for external use only, and not for intoxication (though under supervision, and in the right mucous membranes, it might do the job). Its highness is very different from that of dmt. Would not consider it a substitute. Much more scary.

Unknown said...

tanks for your good answer.

Unknown said...

Would it be acceptable to replace the seeds with leaves ,and i was wandering if i could preserve the leaves in oil for application to boils ,thank you for this article

Guido Mase' said...

You can certainly use leaves. They are less potent. And can be preserved in oil for boils - though I would dry the leaves first.

Unknown said...

thank you for your swift reply i'm off to gather and dry my first datura leaves

Unknown said...

Thank you for this recipe, I've been forming a relationship with Datura for 7 years... for the first 4, I could hardly look at her without feeling strange, so I would sit around her..then I started touching her velvety pods and often speaking to her..without much response and certainly not permission. I moved to a farm where the Thyme crop was overgrown with Datura, so I had to pull her out of the ground for 6 hours a day for 2 weeks...and i lost touch with her for a while because I felt she was angry with me.. and her magenta roots became messages of my past, my ancestry, my healing capacity too.. 2 years later in the Mohave desert while on the way to AHG from Arizona (last week) these songs/tones came to me while walking amongst her and eating prickly pear and spitting out seeds like a javelina..and it finally felt right to harvest!! I got into a trance and kept singing and picked 23 flowers, leaves, and some seed pods. So anyways woah, just want to say thank you for representing her as a healing ally rather than something to consume..so refreshing. I'll make a salve next week for sure..probably with Jojoba from Sonoran desert.. seems rational. Any other wild plants you find synergies with her in a salve for comfort/luxury/pain relief? thank you

a said...

Has anyone tried using this recipe and can comment on its potency? Two table spoons worth of seeds seems alot and would surely make a highly concentrated ointment, making it difficult to dose. Do the seeds lose potency in the heating process or something?

Guido Mase' said...

Hey, the 2TBS of crushed seeds are mixed with 8-9oz of oil. While this works for topical use (small amounts, lentil-size piece of salve of a couple of achy hand joints for example) as a pain reliever, it isn't enough to be dangerous.

Oil extraction isn't as potent as, say, ethanol or methanol extraction. This helps buffer things, too. But that's not to say that ingesting multiple TBS of this salve would be safe! I've never found that conservative amounts of salve made with this recipe cause a problem.

Unknown said...

Ive had the call from the Lady Datura! Im feeling i need to make my own salve, can i use leaves from the plant? How many leaves per onze of oils? Can anyone advise? Many thanks! ♡♡♡

anonymous said...

I did your recipe after a long many research and rubbed it on my forearm "For a bit". Sat and meditated for about 30 minutes or less. Never experienced anything like this? Decided to stop meditating because I was getting very deep in the experience, not because I was scared but because I wanted to be in the safe side at least in my first attempt at it. After that instantly I took a walk and the way I was observing things was in a different level "my legs also "felt lite and strangely like I was bouncing and not walking"... when I took a look at a tree it was like I was seeing a green city flying in the air and I was sensing other things as well ... a lot of info (can't explain it) ... I felt happy honestly from the amazement. The ointment made me in a giggly state (I tried to hide my smile) ... This was about an year ago now I want to explore more in the matter ... my Question is this I've never tried magic mushrooms (hard to get) and they always interested me as if they are the only source of expanding awareness. So can a "Datura Flying Ointment" when used in respect and after proper research .... really give me an expanded awareness experience ... am not looking for a high! is it as powerful as like what they say about magic mushrooms when taken in 5,10,20 or even 30g in dosses? (won't do that with Datura, I know!) the question has been on my mind since that first experience. You said "Its highness is very different from that of dmt. Would not consider it a substitute. Much more scary" those words made a big impression on me ... am not asking about your recipe but about Datura Flying Ointments in general. Witches knew about Magic Mushrooms but it was the Flying Ointment that they used mainly, why? Sorry for the long comment.

Unknown said...

Hi--thank you for this post!!! During quarentine, the vo-tech by my house let it's fields grow unmowed and a bunch of Datura sprung up. I collected the seed pods and want to make a salve with the seeds...
Are the seeds still 'active' after a year of drying?
Also--I am confused--is datura yin-inducing or yang-inducing? You said internally it would attract yang but it seems like it's such a yin plant (drowsiness, etc)...
Would love some clarity as I am trying to increase yang in my body (I am not planning to swallow, just will use as salve)

Thanks,